Monday 27 June 2016

Newbie

Just like I was happily surprised by how much of a difference it made buying a new vacuum (well, technically using VISA points, so yay even better!) after... oh, I don't know... far too many years... I'm honestly not even sure... ten?

But just like having that new vacuum is awesome (even if the VISA points vacuum does have a holder type thing that falls off pretty much every time I use it... sigh.. but still the cleaning is much more efficient) I am also amazed at another recent upgrade I made and how much better it is.

See, I figured if I was going to be driving myself to Burning Man this year (which I... suppose I still am, but am still not quite thinking about it because panic...) I should consider getting a new GPS.  My GPS is fine, works, and I don't use it all that often, but again, it's older.  I just never really thought I'd bother upgrading as I have updated maps and it works well enough.

But... I looked into GPSsesses and found one that got really well reviewed and then found it for sale at Costco so... I went ahead and got it.

And man oh man... so much faster!

I mean, even just connecting to satellites, it's a minute rather than a few.

I haven't actually used it all that much yet (although I did spend some time programming in some of the spots I think I may stop at on the drive down) but I did use it the other day and think I should use it some more so I get used to how it gives directions.  Best, I think, to learn these things previous to, say, you know, going on a solo trip into the wilds of the United States of America?

So yeah.  I got a new GPS and it was much easier to program, and is much faster to connect and I'm looking forward to trying it out and see if it's that much awesomer than my old one.

(Now I just have to convince Jason to let me use it when he's in the car since he's the one I go on drives to shoot with right now and he's convinced GPSes are some kind of evil or something.  Or that they never work around him or something I don't know.)

(Sigh.)

5 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

Yay for new GPS! Those things are so handy. Even if I don't follow the directions, it's nice to have an idea when I might arrive at a destination.

And yay for prepping for BM. And Yay in general!

YAY!

(I'm trying to compensate for it being Monday)

Happydog said...

I don't know what we would do with GPS. I can't find my way out of a paper bag. 😊

Victoria said...

YAY Jason YAY!!!!

I like them too HD ;) (plus I'm giggling now) :D

Jonathan Beckett said...

My other half (who swore of GPSes for years) now has one, and uses it while travelling to sports meets with the kids. She suddenly swears by them.

Victoria said...

There's something to be said for old school figuring it out on your own, but not having to try to read a map while driving? Much safer!!! (I still recall printing out mapquest maps and then trying to rewrite the salient points on a sticky note so I wouldn't have to read while driving!)