Wednesday 15 June 2016

Ok, So

I feel like a really mean plant Mom.

(And in utterly unrelated news, I love this photo, I really do)

I have a spider plant that is very very happy.

It was happy when I bought it and I soon discovered that that's because it's root bound.  For spider plants, apparently, being root bound makes them want to spread out and... well, to put it delicately, they try to make new spider plant babies!

So there's my happy spider plant sending out shoots and then shoots off of those shoots and sometimes I try to make those shoots into little plants, but the last time I tried that it didn't go well for some reason (whispers... because I'm not entirely sure what I'm doing and just wung it.  you know... the past tense of "winging it".)

But then, just recently, it sent out a shoot and instead of baby shoots, this one flowered!  AWWWW, PRETTY!

But then I felt horrible!  Oh geez... my plant is trying to have babies... it wants to be pollinated or... cross... pollinated or whatever and I don't have any bees, and I don't have another flowering spider plant that I could even "fake" pollinate with and man oh man do I ever feel guilty.

(No, but really I do feel kind of a little bit bad for real!)  My poor plant is trying so hard to... reproduce or spawn or whatever it is it wants to do and I'm just...

Well, I'm not letting my plant have sex.  And I feel badly for that.

(Yes, I know that sounds weird.  I'm ok with that.  You should be too or you wouldn't be reading anymore.)  (Actually... hey... wait a second.. hello?  Anyone?  Bueller?)

(In other news, one of the flowers, which adorably close at night because awwwww the sun is down how cute is that?, has turned itself into a seed, so I may actually look into how I might be able to make that seed .... become a new baby and future adult spider plant!)

7 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

I bought my Mum a spider plant about 30 years ago from the school fete. I think she still has some of it's descendents. I think everybody in the family had babies from it.

Victoria said...

We shall take over the world!!!! ;)

Jason Langlois said...

I was once looking after a friend's cactus while they were away in Japan. I forgot about it for probably a month (okay, 2) and when I remembered it, I sprinkled some water on it.

It turned bright green, bloomed, and then all the parts fell off and it died.

So I feel you guilt.

Victoria said...

I'm really really sorry that I laughed at this Jason!

Victoria said...

Also, I have killed any cacti (or jade type plants) I've ever tried to have. Killed dead. Usually in a similar rot and fall apart manner :(

Jason Langlois said...

I have been assured that cactii are nigh-indestructible and impossible to kill. Yet, like you, I've killed many.

I suspect I'm on the secret cactus underground watch list now.

Victoria said...

Nope, I've never managed to have one live long term. I'm probably on that there watch list with you!