Tuesday 26 July 2016

Music

As you read this, I'm actually either on my way, or already in Vancouver for the Tragically Hip show.

Which made me think I should catch you up on some interesting (to me, anyway!) music stuff in my life.

I can't remember why, exactly... probably something to do with wanting to have good playlists for my drive this summer, I started trying to reorganize my iTunes library.

Oh, dude.

First, I wanted to make sure everything was labelled and starred (or whatever you call it) and then I realized that some songs that I used to really like (four stars!) I didn't like as much any more (ugh, two stars now) and that got me thinking that I should maybe go through my entire library and re-rate everything.  (I know, right?)

I also realized that there were songs that were showing up on my shuffle list that I was NOT interested in hearing.  (Adele being the most common example... sorry Adele)

So I started going through my library song by song... deleting some (actually pulling them off into storage) and re-rating others.

It's been interesting to see how much my taste has changed and how some songs just stay solid (Hello Zep, Doors, Beatles, Floyd.)

It's also made me buggy.  I like to power through, which means I don't have the songs on in the background, I sit and actively listen and delete or re-rate, or re-sort or what have you.

I've so far made it to H.  Ugh.  I can't seem to get up the gumption to go back and finish but I'd like to.  I believe in me!  But ugh.

Something close to 200 songs have bitten the dust, which is fascinating to me, and hopefully clearing some storage space in my poor hurting computer (although I doubt it and that wasn't my intention) and meaning I'm not fast forwarding through songs I don't want to hear.  Only the good ones, please!

5 comments:

Jonathan Beckett said...

I've been moving closer and closer to getting rid of all of our ripped albums and CDs. But at the same time, we've started buying vinyl albums again - figure THAT one out.

Jason Langlois said...

Managing the music library seems a lot harder now that it's all on the computer. I mean, in olden times, you just tossed the physical media or took it to Lyle's Place for trade-in credit.

Victoria said...

Yeah.... I maybe bought some of the Zep remastered vinyl... and I don't even have a record player anymore!

Oh, totally, right Jason? UGH! And I still have a box of CDs I'm pretty sure Lyle's won't want ;)

Elliott said...

I tried to do that when I got a new phone with my new job. I gave up and just copied all 2,800 songs. Much easier.

Victoria said...

Totally. I maybe have given up I think :/