Friday 29 July 2016

Uh....

Well.

So... there was a thing that happened yesterday that I.... well, I'll just... tell you...

Jason and I were out shooting after work and we stopped near the Galloping Goose trail.  (A trail that runs up and through a portion of town here for bikers and walkers and stuff)  It has been super hot lately, and a young man (not twenty I don't think, so somewhere in those teenager years but not all that young?) came out of the trail.  He came over to where we were parked and asked if we had any water.  I did, and figured because it was SO super hot, and well, I'm in Burning Man mode of share and help people, I said I did, yes!

I figured the poor guy had been out for a walk and overheated and hadn't brought water, so I brought out my Nalgene (see photo... although that one's no longer with me, but my new one's the same colour!) and handed it over.

He took it... and started to walk away.

I glanced over at Jason, unsure what to do when the kid turned around and said, oh, did you want the water bottle back?

Uh... yeah?

So I walked towards him, still just expecting him to take a sip and hand it back and he just kept walking... so... I followed.

He said he was just "camped over there" and I said oh... ok... and kept walking, not sure at all what the heck was happening.

I don't even remember what I said, but I must have asked him why he needed the water (since he clearly wasn't drinking it... was he taking it to a sick friend?  an overheated pet?)

"I need it for my bong."

....

....

Oh.

I was... somewhere between amused and flabbergasted.  "I, uh, thought you were just thirsty or something?"

And then I kept following him because what else was I going to do at this point?

He got to his little spot and I just kind of stood back as he unwrapped a giant bong and proceeded to fill it with my water.

He politely asked if I wanted a toke but I said I was fine, but thanks for asking!  (Because I guess when things are awkward I revert to ultra politeness?)

He filled it and checked it and filled it some more and then thanked me and handed back my water bottle.

I wished him a great rest of his afternoon and headed back to Jason and the car.

"So," said Jason.  "Had he started a fire or something?"

"Uh... no.  He needed bong water."

I still can't wrap my head around a few things here, you guys!

First... who travels (by scooter, I should mention!!!! No, not the vehicle kind, the kid like skateboard kind!) with a giant glass bong.  And who does that and forgets water?

I'm no expert in these things, but .... shouldn't he have remembered his own?

Jason thought it was mildly amusing.  I thought it was utterly bizarre but am now finding it rather funny.

I mean, not to mention the balls it takes to walk up to strangers and ask them for water and then... what, wander away with the water they gave you?

I have to say, I'm a little confused.  But in an amused by it all kind of way.

So there you go.  That's how I spent a small part of my Thursday.

Random, eh?

6 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

One suspects he'd partaken a bit before turning to the bong.

Victoria said...

Yeah but..

(actually, I didn't think of that. I'm so innocent!)

Jason Langlois said...

It's definitely part of your charm. :)

Victoria said...

Gah! ;)

Elliott said...

It is the West coast...

Victoria said...

Fair enough but... ;)