Friday 15 July 2016

What Answer Do They Expect?

I had my annual "full checkup" at the doctor earlier this week and while I seem to have passed with flying colours, she did ask me one question I'm still shaking my head at.

There's a whole series of questions that range anywhere from do you have ringing in your ears to do you feel numbness in your toes, etc. etc.  And then there are those about mental health type stuff, and then she asked me "are you paranoid about anything?"

I said no, but what if I was?  Do paranoid people know they're paranoid or do they just think they're right and everyone else thinks they're paranoid?  I mean, if I thought the FBI was following me (please don't follow me just because I typed your name k?  Thanks!) and was convinced they were I wouldn't say I was paranoid, would I?  I'd just say no, the FBI is actually following me.

I don't know... was I supposed to say yes?  Yes I'm paranoid about losing my job somehow?  Or am I just worried.  How would I know I was paranoid?  Now am I paranoid about not knowing how a paranoid person would answer the question?  I just... I don't really understand how asking that is supposed to elicit a helpful answer.

It's like asking someone if they're in a cult (which someone did actually once ask me.)  They don't think they're in a cult so they're going to say no.  But if they're not actually in a cult (I was going to a small church group at the time... not a cult, but whatever, I had to say no, but since you've asked I probably can't convince you otherwise, but thanks for thinking I'm that naive.) they'll still say no, so... you don't ever really get to find out, or believe them.

Then again, I've never forgotten the lyrics to a Nirvana song... "just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you."

So yeah.  No.  I'm not.

I just wear this tin foil hat for fashion I swear! *winky emoticon goes here y'all*

5 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

I suppose if you answer yes, though, it'd definitely be a flag for them to follow up on ... so maybe there's some value in asking?

Or maybe paranoid people have a tell - they narrow their eyes, and say something like "Did they tell you to ask me that question? Are they watching us?" and then the doc knows to follow up?

Jonathan said...

This reminds me about the whole argument that the only person that doesn't know they are mad is the mad person. Or the converse - that if you think everybody else is strange, then you are the strange person...

Victoria said...

Who asked you to ask me that, was it THE ALIENS? IT WAS WASN'T IT? Might be a giveaway...

Well, Jonathan, I'm certainly strange then ;)

Elliott said...

X-Files much?

Since I'm the only one living in my brain (at least I think I am) and nothing seems to have changed over the years, what exact is paranoid?? I mean if I was paranoid, should I be worried? I mean, I'm perfectly normal, it's the rest of the world that is being watched...wait, you're a spy...maybe I am paranoid...

Victoria said...

Oh dear! Sorry E ;)