Monday 26 June 2017

Sorry

I hate to whine about the heat, but I'm going to.  Because (swear word) this was not a fun weekend for my body... and therefore me, with the heat we had (are having?)

In part, it's being in an older building, but even that would be mitigated if I had any chance at getting a through breeze.  Or... any sort of air flow at all.

I keep the blinds down most of the day to keep the worst of the sun-induced heat out, and I have a fan going to blow some air on me but the temperature in my apartment hovers around 28 degrees C.  Which... is not seemingly all that much hotter than what air temperature is "supposed" to be but those few degrees matter.  A lot.

And as we've learned from Burning Man... repeatedly, my body isn't all that great at handling heat.

I laughed a bit at myself on Saturday because I was working so hard at hydrating, but then when the heat got really bad (mid-afternoon to early evening for my place) I wanted to head somewhere but all the water meant I needed to be near a washroom, argh!  I went for a walk at one point to cool off and stepped outside into... pretty much the same heat and lack of air flow as was in my apartment.

*Dramatic sigh*

Heat, I think, is something you can enjoy if you're equipped for it.  Or have a shady backyard.  Or a beach.  Or... you know, air conditioning.  But whiny me also wasn't in the mood for beach-crowds (plus, needed to pee!) or people in general and while I might have headed out to a couple of cooler spots, Jason was busy all weekend, and I didn't feel like heading anywhere myself.  (I know, self inflicted whining)

I guess I'm super picky about my temperature range, and I know some people will read this and roll their eyes (I'm aware my version of "hot" isn't the rest of the world's version) but I wouldn't like to go through another weekend like this one, so if we get more heat, or another heat-wave type thing I'm going to have to make plans to not be around my place until... say... eight or nine at night.  Or... you know, at least spend some time somewhere less stifling.

Sorry to whine.... but I'm feeling rather sorry for myself and envious of those with yards... and windows on two or more sides of their place.

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

My apartment generally warms up to temps a few degrees higher than outside (joys of having a sun-facing patio window that gets direct light all afternoon), so I feel your pain.

On the other hand, having a reason to be outside near the ocean, or in tree shade, or in a A/C controlled environment sipping a cold drink ... it's not the worst think that could happen.

Plus, in Victoria, three days straight of any weather is a reason to complain.

Victoria said...

True enough! We do (as a city) tend to weather whine quite a lot ;)