Thursday 10 August 2017

Skimming

I noticed something a number of nights ago, and I'm not sure it's gotten much... or at least not dramatically better since.

My mind/brain is so all over the place I'm not really focussing on much at all right now.

I notice it when I'm in bed, reading at night.  I'll be reading the page... .... you know... Bob and Sarah walked hand in hand down the road, Bob's fingers pressing tightly around etc etc

But meanwhile my mind is going .. ok, so if I can get that back there and maybe I can call them tomorrow but ugh I'd really rather not, so is there some way I could do that without having to call?

And then I realize I've "read" a whole page about Bob and Sarah and I have absolutely no idea what's going on.

It's sort of this weird feeling like my brain is just pretending to pay attention to the page but really it's focussed on whatever the worry or stress is.  Which means I'm not enjoying the book and I'm not getting that relief of distraction from the book either.

I'm not sure how long this has been going on... clearly not forever, as I've voraciously read books all my life... and I'm not quite sure how to get back to *just* reading, because I don't want to be lying in bed stressing over trying to force myself to concentrate.  Reading's always been a relaxing thing for me (except during stressful books!)

I am re-reading a book I've read already so I suppose there's a possibility that that's part of the zoning out?  I stopped keeping track of my books on the sidebar here, so I can't even look back to see when was the last book I was stoked about reading... but I'm sure there has to have been one not all that too terribly long ago, right?

Sigh.

Sorry brain, I really don't want to just skim read... I want to actually get into the story and forget about my own worries for a while. 

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

For what it's worth, I find the same thing happens when I'm re-reading something...

It's quite annoying.

Victoria said...

Fair enough!