Tuesday 3 October 2017

Shaking My Head (At Myself)

I'm not yet sure how to put this into words, but lately I've been realizing, I have fairly skewed understanding of others.

Or of myself.

Or both.

Probably both.

It's like I've always assumed/thought/believed everyone was equal to or better than me in terms of ability (not in terms of worth, I think we're all equal in terms of worth, but that's a philosophical debate for another time and place.)  So... if we imagine I'm good at Math (I use this as an example because I've always felt I was weak with math when I was probably not all that weak), I assume everyone else is as good as I am at Math, if not better.  So when I discover people who have a hard time adding two and two I get confused. 

I'm oversimplifying here because I don't yet have the words to put together what I'm trying to say.  I'm just realizing my viewpoint... my understanding of everyone else is wrong.

Like, my basis for travelling through the world as a co-human is incorrect.

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

I think we do assume we're the baseline for things, and it does make it feel weird when you encounter people above and below your own personal line. You're not alone in this.

Victoria said...

Well, that's good to know!