Saturday 6 January 2018

Oh Man!

Oh my gosh, I totally forgot to tell you!

About a week before Christmas, Jason and I were picking up some groceries.  It was evening (or at least it was dark, so who knows, could have been five pm for all I know, damn time change, mumble, mumble, grumble!)  The store was busy, so they had the extra baggers on to help speed things up.

The checkout we ended up in had two younger folk and they were half chatting to each other.

I think Jason was going to make quacamole for some reason (were we doing tacos maybe? no nachos I think!) so we had an avocado.  Which... no big deal, right?

Except the girl doing the checkout, looked at it, scanned it, turned half to her bagging partner and half to us and said "I have to get a gift for a secret santa.  I'm going to get mine an avocado and a banana, (pause), cuz everyone likes avocados, right?"

And there was a pause from the three of us.

There was a quick exchange of glances between the three of us (Jason, myself, the bagger guy)

"Uh...."  was I think all anyone managed to answer.  I may have shrugged.  I was working REALLY HARD at not laughing or saying "WHAT?" or "no!" or something because, you guys?  This girl didn't seem to be joking.  Honest to god, she seemed 100% serious.  Serious that she was going to get a stranger (we asked and it was for a friend of her friend that she didn't know) an avocado and a banana as a gift.  Not as a gag gift.  Just as a gift. A.  Serious.  Gift.  That.  She.  Thought.  Was.  Nice!

I... can't... even.  It's been the best thing to give me either a good laugh, or to confuse me utterly, or to make me wonder about the future state of the world.

And in case the guy who received this gift reads this?  Dude?  I'm sorry.  But she genuinely thought that an avocado and a banana would be a great gift that you'd enjoy. 

2 comments:

Jason Langlois said...

Okay, wait... is this another clue to the puzzle of the banana tree? Have we maybe found the supplier?

Victoria said...

OH! I didn't even think of that!!!! We might have found a massive clue here!