Thursday 4 January 2018

Oooooooh!

I don't think I've ever mentioned this to you, but I really like cranes.

Now, I'm not talking about the birds although they're cool too in their own way.  Me?  I'm talking about the cranes used in construction.

I'm not entirely sure why but I love them!

There's something about them that makes me really impressed every time I see them.

It's like... look what we (humans) can do!  We can build these... weird wobbly tall things that we then have someone sit in to, like, lift things up high to build super big buildings, what?  It's incredible to me.

Maybe it's the feat of engineering.

I'm sure it's in part that when I was a child, around Christmas, we'd drive to downtown Vancouver for shopping and such and at some point one of us noticed a crane that they'd decorated with Christmas lights (it wasn't "done" back then, although is much more common now, it was such a neat thing to see, very special at the time) and the next time kid me saw one I was so excited I blurted out "there's a Christmas crane!" (it had a lit up tree on it and I'd meant to say "there's a Christmas tree on that crane" but my excited brain got mixed up)

The other month I was walking downtown and saw one being dismantled.  It blew my mind.  They build those things!  OF COURSE they do!  But it had never occurred to me before that someone has to put it together and take it apart.  What???

And the other day I saw a giant truck with all the parts for one on it.  "LOOK AT THAT!" I shouted to whoever was in the car with me at a time.  And yes, I would have probably stopped to look at it had traffic/timing allowed.  IT'S JUST SO BIG AND COOL YOU GUYS!!!!

So yeah, I kind of love cranes.  I don't have a solid reason why except that I love that human engineering thinks up such cool (and helpful I guess) things.  We are SO smart!

And no, I don't want to go up one, nope, nope, nope!  I just want to admire them from afar.

And, oh, yeah, I'm totally one of those people who'll stop and watch one.  (And I'll look through the look holes of a construction site too, you bet I will!)

Cool stuff, yo, them cranes.  I likes them.


No comments: