Thursday 8 February 2018

Rumble In The (Not) Jungle

Victoria is vaguely close-ish to a US airforce... uh... base?  (I don't really know) on Whidbey (I never think I spell that right) Island.  Because of this, we occasionally get rumbling sounds through the day and depending on how long they go on, one learns to go "that's the jets" and think nothing more about it.

A few months ago, there was a rumbling fairly late in the evening.  If I remember (somewhat?) correctly, it turned out some of the Whidbey pilots went on a late night runaround (that they maybe weren't supposed to?) and so it was a small kerfuffle as people talked about hearing them and how it was so late.

So this weekend, Jason and I were watching Wonder Woman (which I liked, and did cry at a couple of points, shush!) and there was a rumbling.  We both paused... looked at each other... out towards the window and the look on my face was certainly "what was that?"  It wasn't the right kind of noise for a truck, and it was pretty late at night for that anyway, so we figured it was probably the jets again.  Go figure.

It wasn't until we'd finished the movie that we found out it was actually a small earthquake. Which, to be honest, kind of freaked me out.  I usually feel them, but hearing it and not feeling it was an uncomfortable feeling for me.  I suppose had it been a large one, we would have felt it as well, and many folk did (and I probably would have in my place?) but yeah.... No likey the sound of an earthquake, nope. 

2 comments:

Dominic said...

Victoria is vaguely close-ish to a US airforce... uh... base?

When did you start referring to yourself in the third person? :)

Victoria said...

Heh. Victoria has no answer to Dominic's question. ;)