Saturday 28 April 2012

It's That Weekend Again

Really Really Really Pay Attention by foundimagination
I'm only ninety something percent sure (because I always like to give myself a mental "you don't have to if you don't want to" out even though I most likely won't take it) but I think C-Dawg and I are going to walk the TC 10K tomorrow.

I've written about how the experience of walking it the first time was amazing, and about my experience of running it last year (which was a real struggle, even if my post glazed over that truth,) and honestly, I'm a bit nervous of this time, even though I'm not sure how a walk through downtown with ten thousand other people and your best pal can be anything but fun.

I'm going to re-read the advice I wrote out for myself last year even though we won't be running it, and I'm going to make sure I stretch and take an epsom salt bath and maybe even pop an Advil, but that'll all just be me being extra cautious (except for the stretching, my IT band insists on that ever since the "bowling incident" gave it a run for its money) because really, it's just a kind of a long walk and it's not like I haven't wandered along Dallas Road for an hour and a half with this friend or that already this Spring.

So here's to us, and here's to everyone running, walking, or wheeling their way through the TC 10 K tomorrow.

If you're in town and haven't seen the 10K in action, you should totally head down and cheer/watch/participate. It's awesome! Especially if you go down to cheer.

The cheering really helps. And the silly ones stick with you.

("GO NADS!")

8 comments:

Confused said...

This is out of the blue, but I need advice! Not on dating though.

So I'm finishing grad school in a month. I LOVED the experience but I really do not care to attend the commencement ceremony. I know it's something that I'm "expected" to do, and I feel the pressure to do it especially from my family. My parents are flying into the country, and they'll be here for about 20 days. I personally do not understand the fascination with the robe and the diploma and all that. It doesn't symbolize anything for me. The thought of sitting there for 3 hours just listening to speeches and names being called out is awful. I told my parents that they are going to be here not just for a 3 hour-ceremony, but to spend time with me and to travel across the country with me. I don't believe that this ceremony makes me more of a graduate, and I don't want to have to force myself to go.

So here's the other part: I won't have a single friend in that graduating class. I do have good friends, but they're all still in school and have a while until graduation, or I know them from outside school. So if I did have friends, I would've somehow forced myself to do this for my parents. But now the fact that I would have to do it alone without a single friend is what makes me very sad & causes me to dread it. (Plus, the fact that I don't care for the ceremony in the first place)

Nevertheless, as someone who feels guilty very easily, I do feel guilty about this, as though I am denying my parents something. What do you think? What would you do if you were in my place?

PS. Sorry for going on for so long! Clearly, I'm torn.

Victoria said...

Oh man, I don't want to give you advice on something you really don't seem to want to do, but here's my two cent's worth.... if it helps at all...


Finishing grad school is a huge accomplishment and you should be very proud of yourself. I'm not sure anyone actually enjoys these ceremonies, but they're a marker, and event and a time for you to sit and reflect on all the hard work and time you put in and how much you've accomplished.

I've never found a grad event was about friends, I mean, generally you're sitting alphabetically, not with friends, so not having friends involved doesn't seem like something to sway you either way.

If you're finishing grad school, I'd guess you've been through a high school and a Bachelor's ceremony, so what's one more.

Maybe going is one of those things you'll be glad you just went ahead and did in the future, but if you don't go, you might one day wish you had.

You say your parents are flying out to see you and spend time with you and I'm sure they're very very proud of you. Might it not be worth three hours of your time to sit through a terrible, boring ceremony so that they can feel proud and happy as parents?

Were I in your place, I'd go.

But I also don't dread these things (I didn't go to my high school grad, but did for my degrees) as you seem to.

I guess you have to decide if this is something you can put up with, as it'll be over in, what, half a day? And if you decide to go, don't dread it, just know it's something you're doing and get it done.

And then maybe pat yourself on the back for doing something you didn't want to do for your parents.

(And as someone who also feels guilty very easily, I think you might feel a lot less guilty if you just go "for your parents". If you don't go, you'll have to live with that guilt and that might not be worth it.)

Yikes... hope you work things out and congrats on finishing grad school!

PS What would you like to look back on in ten years and remember from this time?

Confused said...

Thanks :) You give good advice.

Victoria said...

Aww, thanks. Hugs

Anonymous said...

Curious - did you and your friend do the walk?

We walked about 8km each day this weekend, Friday, Saturday, and Sunday...and did it while carrying about 20 lbs on my back. But, we love golf.

Hope you had a good weekend. Saw the Chili Peppers...what a show.

- Elliott

Victoria said...

We did :)

It was fun!

And, yes, you golfers are crazy people! ;) But I know you love it!

Oh man, the Chili Peppers were my first concert! They rock!

Elliott said...

Congrats on doing the walk!

Yes, we golfers love the sport (my wife is the other crazy golfer in the house).

The Peppers were even better than when I saw them about 20 years ago. My daughters (17 and 19) went and all loved the show.

- Elliott

Victoria said...

Thanks :)

My brother loves golf too, I was never consistent enough to enjoy it.

Glad to hear the show was awesome! :D